Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Farewell, dear first grade and dear class! :-(

Last Wednesday was Sunny's final day of school before the summer holidays.

It was a sad week because we had to say good-bye to Sunny's class and almost all his fellow students. One of them is moving up to a new class (he is a lot older than the rest of the kids and will be in middle school from now on). One of them will be leaving the school in order to attend an inclusive classroom in another town and facility.

Sunny's most important friend will be leaving his complete home life and environment behind to live in an orphanage/children's home and this fact is breaking my heart so much. What is even worse is that the children's home is roughly two hours away so we will not even be able to visit or meet him somehow by chance. Sunny's teacher could not go into detail about the reasons but she mentioned that the social surroundings and situations of the child were very difficult and that he will be staying in the home for a longer period of time. When she told me about it she had tears in her eyes and I know how hard it is for her, too. She is such a loving and caring person, I can totally see why it hurts her as much as it hurts me (or probably much more, given that she saw this boy every day). She pledged for a home in the same town that Sunny's school is in but the parents and the youth welfare service mutually decided for the other home.

So there are only Sunny and another boy left of the initial class and with no new students to enter elementary school this year Sunny and the other child are going to be divided to the other two classes left in elementary school.

Sunny's aide will also be leaving which is another hard blow that we have to stand. Sunny and him shared such a strong bond, words were unnecessary between them. They were very, very close and did so much together. On Mondays the class was usually taught in the woods and outside and Sunny and his aide loved to saw, hammer, and drill wood and make crafts. His aide was tireless when it came to working with Sunny and I guess he enjoyed it as much as Sunny did. I know he will be greatly missed by my son.

I am very grateful that he will keep his loving teacher for most of the days in the new class though. She will be in another class for two mornings a week but otherwise will be in Sunny's class together with another teacher. I thank the heavens for that! It is the only good thing about all the changes coming in the next school year.

The new class will have seven instead of five students and I wonder if or how this will affect Sunny's attention span and capability to learn. I hope it will not affect him in a negative way.

So last week on Monday we had a final farewell barbecue and spent some time together for the last time. The parents were invited, too, so it was a bittersweet experience and I shed quite some tears as you can imagine if you have been following this blog for some time.

I just hope that we will be able to keep in touch with the boy that left for the inclusive classroom since Sunny likes him a lot, too. 

I am a bit worried about how Sunny will be able to cope with all of these changes. I hope he will be as happy in his new class as he used to be. He loves to go to school so much, it would be such a shame if that changed. Just imagining it makes my heart heavy.

For now, however, we will try to enjoy the summer holidays that lie ahead of us and I will try not to be consumed by negative thoughts about the coming school year. I will cross that bridge when I get to it.





9 comments:

  1. You might be surprised at Sunny's capacity to make new friends. This is the 3rd time Boo is being left behind. All but 2 of her classmates are moving onto the next grade. It used to terrify me but I'm learning she just adapts. It takes a few weeks/months for the parents to get used to Boo but the kids? They just accept her. And she accepts them. Enjoy your summer holiday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you are right, Kerri. I know I always worry too much about these things before they even take place. Most of the time Sunny is fine and I was worried for nothing.

      Are the girls back to school already?

      Delete
  2. End of the year is so bittersweet! Patty and JT went back to school last week. New year, new classroom, nw teacher. Yes, there were a few tears, but it has gotten a little easier everyday
    Thank goodness for that! Do you think Sunny and his friends could be pen pals? That might be an easy way to stay in touch! Your summer vacation is just beginning?! When will the school year resume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear the transition was not too hard for your kids. I am sure I am not the only mum worrying about that.

      I might ask the teacher for the address of Sunny's friend, that is a good idea. Thank you for bringing this up!

      Yes, the summer holidays started on July 31 and the school year resumes on September 15. You know that I do not live in the US, do you? Here, the different "states" have different holiday dates and the state where I live is one of the last to start with the summer holidays.

      Delete
  3. I'm so worried about Tucker going to kindergarten in September, too. It will be a whole new school, all new students, new teachers, everything. It's so scary!! I'm sad to hear that one of Sunny's friends will be in a home. Does he require a level of care that his parents can't provide? It always breaks my heart to hear of young kids not living with their parents, but I'm sure they thought a lot about the best for everybody.
    I hope you and your family enjoy Sunny's summer break!! We've been trying to do a lot of fun things with Tucker since next year is when the days begin to get longer for him (and will be for 12 more years!!). Sigh. They grow up SO FAST...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi, I can understand you so very well!! I hope Tucker will cope with it all very well, fingers crossed for that! When is his first day? How much longer will his days be?

      No, the boy actually does not require an extra high level of care. He can walk, speak, he plays football and went to the pool on a regular basis... On the contrary, very often I asked myself why he does not attend a regular class room. I do not know what the problem really was and why the parents made that decision but I am sure it was not easy for them. However, it is still sad.

      Delete
  4. I am always curious about school in other countries. The summer vacation there is shorter than here in the US and we had tons of parents complaining because there were two weeks of makeup days due to snowy winter weather! This is Misty, btw, remember me from Meet the Cottons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misty, this is you?! I had no idea!! How could I ever forget you? What happened to your other blog?

      Delete
    2. Still have Meet the Cottons, but wanted a place to focus on the education experiences we are having. Probably need to update the Cottons sometime soon though!

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)