Friday, 6 December 2013

Ten Things of Thankful: week 48-49/2013

I have to keep this short because Sunny has gotten ill today and that means he always sleeps horribly, wakes up some time after he was put to bed and needs me by his side. It seems to be a viral infection and for now strep throat has been ruled out but he has a sore throat nevertheless and was hardly able to swallow today.

So let's start and finish this quickly:


1) I am thankful that I can trust my maternal instincts. Sunny's pain perception is reduced so he hardly cries or lets me know when something hurts him. I only realised something was off this morning when he refused to drink his usually favourite drink (milk with water) so I headed to the paediatrician this afternoon in order to have her check on him before the weekend and I was completely right with my assumptions.

2) This is a totally unusual song for my playlist but "The Bonny Swans" by Loreena McKennitt is a song that I really adore. I love the medieval touch and the voice of Loreena. It is truly enchanting!


3) I am thankful that the storm that is raging over Germany since yesterday has not affected us so far and that it was not as bad as it was expected for those who were affected. It is supposed to dissolve tomorrow.

4) I am thankful for our tea machine (again). I mentioned this some time ago and was asked to share pictures. So for those of you who were curios just follow this link.

5) I am thankful for Nelson Mandela. He was a real hero and a role model. His humility was humbling. The world will be missing a person everyone could always look up to. His kindness and absolute will for reconciliation has surely left a seed in many hearts.

6) I am thankful for St. Nicholas' day which is today. This morning Sunny got a present at home (it was a book that he loved while he was in kindergarten so I bought it for him) and St. Nicholas also came to school this morning. Sunny's teacher wrote in our communication book that she took pictures of their encounter and I hope she will send them to me. Obviously they learned a poem that they recited for St. Nicholas. Some years ago Sunny was very afraid of St. Nicholas. I am always in awe how Sunny grew in so many different ways in the past years.

7) I am thankful for the movie "Troja" starring Brad Pitt which I am just watching while I type. He looks just awesome in his armour (and even better without ;-) ).... 'nuff said.

8) I am thankful for the friend who just called me while I wrote this post. She moved to France some years ago but we still meet as often as possible because she is always with her parents during school holidays and we are there (at my parents, of course) very often during the holidays, too.

9) I am thankful for hot showers and baths. There is nothing better when it is cold outside!

10) I am thankful that I got a small job that will bring me some money. However, it will be quite stressful as I have to finish it until Monday. I hope I will be able to finish it on time!










The complete list of posts can be found here (I deleted the blog hop because it always made my blog crash when I searched for something with the label TToT).

~~~~~

Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful community and work with us to nurture an attitude of gratitude. We use the whole weekend to focus on the Good Things in life. Make a list of those present in your life by listing ten things you are thankful for today. Then share the Wonderfulness with others here.

Please take time to have a look at some of the other posts submitted and leave them some comment love - let's get the appreciation going. We find that the magic, the connection and the joy comes through best in conversations in the comments.

Add your 'Ten Things of Thankful' link here and don't forget to display our banner on your post.

21 comments:

  1. Ah! A tea machine!! So wonderful, can't do without a cup in the afternoons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy my cup in the morning for breakfast!

      Delete
  2. Hoping Sunny is feeling better today and that you got some sleep last night. You are so right about mother's intuition and I usually can always tell when something isn't quite right with my girls. Keeping you both though in my thoughts and prayers now. And hoping that you will have a good weekend now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine! xo The night was actually better than expected.

      Hope you will have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  3. LOL! That made me giggle, you crushing on Brad Pitt. :)

    I hope Sunny feels better soon, and well done for picking up on him not being 100%, Sending you healing thoughts for him, and for you to have a weekend with enough free time to get your work done.

    Kudos on getting Mandela in. He will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know: who would you be crushing on? ;-) Just curios.

      Thanks for the well-wishes for Sunny. He was doing quite okay today but his throat seems to really hurt.

      I still have a lot of work to do, I hope I will manage to finish it by tomorrow night. I would rather read all the TToT posts now but I am afraid I will not be able to finish my task if I do :-/

      Delete
  4. I hope Sunny is feeling better very soon. Maternal instincts are a powerful thing.

    We are in total agreement on Brad Pitt (in and out of armor) and hot showers and baths...even when it's not cold outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy, I hope he will be back to his normal self soon, too!

      High five on Brad! :-)

      Delete
  5. Hope Sunny feels better really soon. Thank goodness for maternal instincts! I definitely agree with your numbers 2, 5 and 9. Good luck with your job this weekend. I'm sure the tea machine will help you get through it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy! Glad you like the song, you are the first one to even comment on it! xo

      Delete
  6. Maternal instincts are so amazing! My mom always knows when I need something too :) Hope Sunny feels better soon.

    I took a hot bath yesterday after work and it was so nice to just relax. I'm with you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate for your well-wishes for Sunny! I hope he will be fine again soon, too!

      Aww, there is nothing better than a hot bath after work!

      Delete
  7. (interesting aspect of this virtual reality thing) hearing about the 'same' illness affecting children and families all over the globe...
    is that *the* St Nicholas?? (the one our culture 'upgraded' and added a few apps to.... lol)
    hope Sunny feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, clark? Did you hear of other kids having the same problems? Wow, that's interesting.

      Yes, it is THE St. Nicholas. He has his special day here in Germany on December 6 because in most parts of the country (not everywhere though) the Christ Child brings the presents on December 24. When I was a child I did not even know Santa Claus existed.

      Thanks for the wishes for Sunny! :-)

      Delete
  8. I didn't know about st. Nicholas day...what a nice way to preserve some purpose for the holiday...

    Totally appreciate Mandella and those like him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't small jobs around that time awesome? Had one myself, and might get another one next week. I hope Sunny is getting better, soon. It's always bad if the little ones are sick. Wasn't that a storm a few nights ago? We definitely heard it, and Violet was a little scared, poor baby..

    Hope you can still enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In a weird way, it would almost be better if Sunny had strep throat, because at least you'd know what it was and would be able to get antibiotics for it. Hope he's well soon. (Do you know about strawberry tongue? When your child has strep, the taste buds on his tongue turn red and make it look like a strawberry. You can look at the tongue before you even call the doctor and know he's got strep. Works every time, and I have no idea if there is any medical basis behind it.)

    I like Loreena McKennitt and hot showers and baths when it's cold, too. And I like that the Christ Child brings the gifts on Christmas Eve! That is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'ello Joy,

    you seem to be Number Four on the Wakefield Doctrine (Sunday) 10 things list…. or perhaps it is better to say that you are where everyone will find the 4th Item on my list for today's Post.

    #4 having friends and/or family members that we can call at times when things begin to stray into 'the overwhelming'…another person's perspective does not change anything necessarily, but it totally makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A mother's intuition is always right on target, you did great in realizing that Sunny wasn't feeling great. A nice hot shower or bath can do wonders to help one relax and feel rejuvenated. Nothing is more wonderful that sinking into a steaming hot tub for a nice peaceful soak!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Learning to listen to that Mommy intuition is so empowering. Well done you! I hope Sunny is feeling better. Warm showers and good friends are some of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it a great feeling to know that your Mommy instinct works? I often doubt mine, but other times I am relieved to know that it does the job!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)