Thursday, 31 October 2013

Recipe: Quick and easy sugar roasted almonds

I recently posted a picture of my first homemade sugar roasted almonds. I love them and I always buy them when I get the chance - which is rather rare because they are not sold on many occasions here. And apart from that they are always crazily expensive. So I tried a recipe for them that looked promising enough to be quick and easy - and it was. You can do it easily, too, if you like them as much as I do.


Sugar roasted almonds



Ingredients

200 gr almonds (whole; unpeeled) (equals just over 7 ounces)
4 tablespoons brown sugar (do not use white sugar, it gets too hot!)
1 level teaspoon cinnamon
2,5 tablespoons water

Directions

Use a microwave oven bowl (must be adequate for cooking in the microwave, not only for defrosting/warming of food as the sugar gets very hot!) and mix sugar, water and cinnamon. Melt for one minute at 600 watt (600 watt equals the second hottest level on my microwave oven).

Take the bowl out and add the almonds. Mix everything thoroughly until the almonds are covered. Put it back in again for 2 minutes at 600 watt.

Take the bowl out the second time, mix everything thoroughly once more. Put it back in again for 2 minutes at 600 watt.

Take the bowl out the third time, mix everything thoroughly again. Put it back in again for 2 minutes at 750 watt (750 watt equals the hottest level on my microwave oven).

Take the bowl out, mix everything thoroughly for the last time and put the almonds on a sheet of baking paper to cool down. When you take the bowl out this time most of the liquid should have been dissolved and the sugar should have crystallised on the almonds. This is when they taste the best!


Depending on the power of your microwave oven you might have to alter the times a bit.
Once more my warning: the sugar gets extremely hot so please watch out!


Alternatives

- You can alternatively use 1,5 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of Amaretto instead of 2,5 tablespoons of water. 
- You can also exchange the cinnamon with vanilla aroma.


It is really so easy and there is hardly any effort envolved! Just dare to try it - and enjoy!






8 comments:

  1. i'm not an almond fan, think this would work with cashews or pecans? but, oh do those almonds look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works with any kind of nut! I have already eaten it with walnuts and with peanuts, both were just as delicious! Just make sure you buy plain, natural nuts, none that are already salted or seansoned in any way.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing! I've seen these at the shopping malls during the Chrustmas shopping season. Now I can make them at home!

      Delete
    3. Please let me know how they turned out if you make them!

      Delete
  2. oh! for your american readers, 200 grams is equal to just over 7 ounces! i had to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Misty! I will add it to the recipe!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Kristi, one day you have to try one of my recipes and let me know how you did! :-)

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)