Saturday, 29 June 2013

Ten Things of Thankful: week 25-26/2013

Here is this week's Ten (+ one) Things of Thankful list:

1) My car. We live quite rural, my husband is away a lot and needs his car and Sunny and I have a lot of appointments to drive to. If I had to rely on public transport I would be completely lost and I would not be able to do many of the things that we do. Having my own car is an essential and important part of my life and how we help Sunny to thrive. Therefore, I am so glad that we can afford that.

2) That my family does not live too far away to visit them every two or three months at the latest. It is too far away to pay them a short visit without staying over night but I am glad that they do not live at the other end of the county. It would make visiting them much more expensive, much more of a hassle and it would make for fewer get-togethers.

3) I am thankful for the services our health and insurance system offers for SN kids like my son. While there is always something that could be improved there really is not much reason to complain compared to other countries. Since I read blogs from all over the world I came to realise that we are really lucky.

4) That we can afford hippo therapy for Sunny. It is something that is usually not covered by the insurance companies here and we are lucky that we can pay for it ourselves. It is one of the therapeutic things he loves the most and I would be so sad if I had to cut that short or even stop it for monetary reasons.

5) I am thankful that I have several blankets that I can use for various temperatures. Tonight it was quite cool in our rooms so I added an extra blanket and was warm and cosy. Others might not be so lucky because they cannot afford more than one blanket and I realise this is something I have to be thankful for.

6) I am still in love with this song from the 80's: Is This Love? by Whitesnake. It was really 'poser rock' (at least this is what we call it here) and seeing the video makes me grin because they try so hard to be cool yet romantic yet mysterious yet rock stars at the same time. I also love that the whole band has the same hairdo as the girl dancing in the video. Hilarious! And don't get me started on all the fans used for this video. But that song? Still one of my favourites!


7) I am glad and thankful that Sunny was rarely sick all winter and spring (*knock on wood*). He used to be sick very often in the last years and it seems that his health and his immune system have improved and gotten more resistant. But I will not say this out loud; I am a bit superstitious when it comes to that. So please do not read this loudly but only in your heads ;-)

8) I am thankful for TV and the cinema. There is nothing that distracts me better if I need to relax and not think too much.

9) The rain because it is so cosy to stay at home when it rains outside and we would not acknowledge the sun that much when it comes out again after a downpour.

10) That I finally finished our annual tax declaration this week!! This is a major task each year because it is so complicated and I tend to procrastinate it as long as possible. However, it was already due one month ago (ugh) and this week I finally did it! Yaaay! That makes me so happy because it is such a burden taken off of my shoulder! All I have to do now is print out all the stuff and send it away next week.

10+1) Since I wrote my FTSF post this week about July 4, 2012 I haven't stoppped thinking about it. Writing about it stirred up so many positive and good emotions. I am thankful that I got to experience the joy and happiness of the kids that day and I am thankful I was reminded of that day again due to my blogging community. 








PS: I am away for the weekend. I will try to link up this post (which is scheduled) and I will also publish comments as soon as I can but I might not be able to get back to you until next week.



Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

18 comments:

  1. I am still blown away by how organised you've been. And now that you love the rain (I can't stand it but am always keen to hear why people like it). Hope you have a gorgeous weekend away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wasn't that organised this week due to too much on my plate but I am definitely going to catch up on all the comments I haven't answered so far and all the post I haven't commented on yet from the last blog hops.

      Delete
  2. We called them "Hair Bands" and yep, I LOVED them.
    You have some great thankful things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, 80's hair. Never before and never again (I hope) has there been such a crazy-haired fad. The song takes me right back to high school.
    We just had some rain, and I was smiling as I listened. It's a great sound when you don't have to go out in it.
    Frequently, extended families are scattered all over creation. It's nice to know yours is only a ride in the car away. Ours, too. I find it very reassuring.
    Have a nice weekend away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80's hair is such a cool description! Will surely take it up into my repertoire!

      I had a lovely weekend! Thank you for your good wishes!

      Delete
  4. This was a wonderful list of blessings! What I really loved about it was that you recognized common, ordinary things that we so often take for granted in our daily lives, while others are not nearly as fortunate and don't have them... transportation, blankets, family, rain and more. On the days when we aren't feeling very blessed we need only look around and realize how much we truly are. Oh, and I am a great fan of layering blankets too.. Papa Bear is always warmer than I, so I even keep a small throw to add an extra layer to my side of the bed in winter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Sometimes it takes some effort to make yourself aware of all the good that surrounds us but it is always worth it!

      Delete
  5. I'm so there with you in number 7. I always knock on wood when either my husband or I say something about how Sophia has been so healthy lately because on one occasion he mentioned that and bam! she got sick the next day, very sick!

    ps: I didn't say it out loud ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not hear anything! 8-)

      I see that you get it! xo

      Delete
  6. "...I also love that the whole band has the same hairdo as the girl dancing in the video. Hilarious!"

    my god, I never saw that, you're right! lol it's a wonder how different a different time can be, while we are all still (sort of) the same.
    I agree with the blanket thing... even in the summer, when it is cool enough, I totally like having the weight of a blanket on my to sleep.

    Good post! (see you on 'the circuit'!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we always feel like we do not age but then you look at a video like that and you think "wow, was this really 30 years ago???" because you still feel like being 17...

      Delete
  7. I LOVED THE 80S! Still hoping the 80s hair comes back, because I'm so tired of taming mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just feel free to wear 80's hair! I am sure you will be a trendsetter! Go for it!

      Delete
  8. You will not believe me, but I swear I just listened to Whitesnake on Pandora radio :)

    So freaking happy about #7 that I am knocking on wood for you.

    As far as the rain, since I spent the weekend camping in a downpour for the past 4 days, not quite so thankful for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is it that you listened to Whitesnake the very moment you read my post!! Yaaay!

      Thanks for the knocking on wood; however, it did not really work :-/

      I read about your camping experience. I am so late on all my favourite blogs but I am determined to catch up this week! xoxo See you then!

      Delete
  9. Ha to Whitesnake and them having the same hairdo! Gotta love 80's hair bands - they're hilarious and awesome. I love that Sunny's in hippo therapy. I can't wait until Tucker's a little bit older so we can try it! Great list, friend! And I hope your weekend away was wonderful and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure Tucker will love hippo therapy as much as Sunny does! You should give it a try soon!

      My weekend was beautiful and relaxing, thank you! xo

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)