Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Picture perfect

There is one event that I look forward to the whole year: I treat myself with a professional photo shoot each year. Sunny and I have our pictures taken by a wonderful photographer who turned into a friend over the years. My husband sadly does not come with us as he absolutely dislikes having pictures of him taken. But since I am the photographer in our family he is on many more pictures than I am, so this is one of the reasons why I do this every year. These pictures are very important to me. I think there can never be too many pictures of us.

There is another thing that is really important to me when it comes to the photo shoot. I always say that it is my kind of therapy. First of all I look forward to it for months. It makes me happy just thinking about it. I ponder about the outfits we are going to wear, the accessories we will bring along to our shoot and the fun we are going to have. Very often when I have to do non-fun stuff like telephone calls with the insurance company or other unpleasant things I can distract myself with the thought and the pleasant anticipation of the photo shoot and it makes me light up and take things a little easier (at least sometimes).

Then, on the day of the shoot, we both dress up and I put on some make-up, make my hair, put on my jewellery and a gorgeous outfit and feel really beautiful for one day (it is not that I walk around in a bag all year but I do not spend that much time on my appearance in everyday life like when we go to the shoot). I feel strong and powerful and self-confident and I cannot wait to spend time with my friend, have a lot of fun and hear how much Sunny has grown and how cute and beautiful he is. It is truly an endorphin booster and after the shoot I drive home on a cloud of happiness.

The day when we finally get the pictures is my absolute highlight of it all. The pictures are always wrapped up beautifully and unwrapping the parcel is something I really celebrate and enjoy. There are layers and layers in there including the pics on CD, some printed photos and small yet thoughtful presents. It is like Christmas in summer. I just love it.

Seeing the pictures gives me a feeling of normal. This might sound totally weird but I look at the pictures and see happiness, carefreeness, fun, joy. Of course these are all things that are a large part of our everyday life. We are happy, carefree, have fun and enjoy stuff. But these emotions are sometimes clouded by other things like sadness, worries, discontentedness and the like. The pictures, however, show me what I love about our life and whenever I feel sad or down I just need to take a look at them and they lift me up again.



6 comments:

  1. It is not weird at all, it is sweet. I am in your husband's boat. I hate pictures of myself. But I am so glad you have this tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerri! I am so much looking forward to it already! :-)

      Delete
  2. Joy! What an awesome post and I feel the same way. Every time we get professional photos done, I feel like they are going to suck because Tucker won't look at the camera or he tries to run away or cries, or gets overwhelmed, or (fill in the blank)...and each time, the photographer manages to capture the perfect smile of wonder on his face. Although I am hating photos of me each year more and more, I still cherish the ones I have with my son each year and hope that Tucker will too someday.

    I know exactly what you mean about seeing the pictures and seeing happy, carefree and fun. Joy. Carefree. Awesome. It reminds us that we DO get this every day - or at least often - even through the millions of meetings and appointments and therapy.

    I think YOU are awesome and sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Kristi, what a lovely comment! You shouldn't hate pictures of you, you are gorgeous! And this is what I love about our photographer too: being ableo to capture the sweet and perfect moments!

      Yes, it also reminds me that we get to do it every day, so true indeed!

      Delete
  3. i wish i could harness your enjoyment of having your picture taken! i dread even the simplest family photo taken at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you knew our photographer you would love it, too! It makes you addicted!

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)