Friday, 10 May 2013

Finish the Sentence Friday: This summer


This week's sentence to finish is:

This summer I plan to... 

...visit my friend in Austria again. Sunny and I visited her last summer and it was the most beautiful weekend I had last year. Some days ago she invited me again and we are both so very much looking forward to it!

The best part of it? She lives close to the place where "The Sound Of Music" was filmed. Before I visited her I did not even know that movie existed and she told me how there are always tons of tourists, especially from the US because the movie was such a huge success there - and still is. I recently read that it is the most watched movie ever (estimated 1.2 milliard viewers!) and, together with "Gone With The Wind", the most phenomenal box office hit of all times.

This week I decided I needed to fill this gap in education and I ordered the DVD in order to learn what the movie is all about and to see all the places and things we saw last year. I have to say that I am not sure many of my friends have ever even heard of it. I cannot recall that it was that successful here. The DVD came in the mail on Wednesday and I cannot wait to watch it.

Anyway, here are some of last year's pics. If you are a fan and would like me to take some pictures of anything in particular while I am there this summer, just let me know!

The stunning view from my friend's porch. Isn't this awesome?

We did a bit of sightseeing

The famous church from the movie

Inside the church

Afterwards, we went for a little boat trip. The boys were so happy!

I really love the picturesque landscape!

There are beautiful, old Jugendstil mansions next to the lake

Have you seen the movie and do you like it? Have you ever been to the continent? If yes, where have you been? I would really love to know!


Thank you to Kate of Can I Get Another Bottle of Whine…, Janine of Janine’s Confessions of a Mommyaholic, Stephanie of Mommy, for Real and Dawn of Dawn's Disaster for hosting Finish the Sentence Friday!






20 comments:

  1. Wow, have a wonderful trip! I'm not a fan of the movie but the scenery is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will enjoy it so much Alana, I am sure! The scenery is surely breathtaking!

      Delete
  2. This sounds amazing and never been here. I truly loved all the pictures, especially the church from the Sound of Music. And seriously thank you for linking up with us again Joy and sharing this. Sounds like a great summer indeed!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so much looking forward to it! Thanks for the compliments on the pic and for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I watched the Sound of Music every single year for three decades. I am now singing every song simultaneously in my head. I had no idea it was only big in the US. Can't wait to hear your take on the movie.
    Between the movie and your photos, I now need to put this vacation on my "to do after retirement" list.
    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so muc for your comment! I hope I will get to watch the movie this week!

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen the movie since I was very young, but now the song is stuck in my head!!! So, a needle pulling thread, La a note to follow so, tea a drink with jam and bread....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm even more looking forward to watching the movie! :-) Not sure if I should watch the English original or the synchronised version though, hm.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE Austria! It was so amazing to see the Sound of Music sights in Salzburg- it was one of my absolute favorite cities in Europe, of the ones that I visited. And I adore the movie- happy watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you have been to Salzburg? I will make sure this time that we visit Salzburg this time, too (as you probably know the church is not in Salzburg but in Mondsee)!

      Delete
  6. I have never been to Austria, but it looks absolutely beautiful. When it comes to The Sound of Music, honestly, I haven't seen it since I was a child. I may just have to watch it again - I had no idea it was that viewed! Gorgeous photos, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kristi! Yes, maybe you should watch it again! xo

      Delete
  7. I was in Austria in November. It is absolutely gorgeous. We were only driving through from Switzerland to Germany, but we spent a few hours driving through the mountainous area. My daughter grew up on the Sound of Music. I believe at 40 she still watches it. I think she was trying to get her sons hooked on it. I don't know if that's working. I went to your about page to see where you were from. I still don't know, but your English is fantastic!!

    http://agutandabutt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Betty, thank you SO MUCH for your flattering comment! I am acutally German and I live in Germany, too. What did you see while you were here?

      Delete
  8. The pictures look awesome, and I hope you have a really fun trip, but I just really don't like the Sound of Music. I think I have Julie Andrews trauma from being forced to watch her films so much as a kid.

    (That said, a few years ago I saw the Sound of Music in the West End and it was great, so maybe it's just Julie...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch about your Julie Andrews trauma, LOL! I am so curious if I will like the movie or not. I will make sure to post something about it as soon as I watched it.

      Delete
  9. wow what so 'not New England' geography is that! In fact, with the lake in the photo it looks like a perfect combination of giant mountains and nearby water.
    Would be cool to see in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the perfect combination, you nailed it with your comment! Can't wait to return to that beautiful spot!

      Delete
  10. I was just talking about going to Vienna (my husband says no, at least not til the kids won't be total terrors on a plane), and now my jealousy factor went up 10 times when you said Sound of Music. Love, love, love that movie and so does my 2yo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to Vienna, too, but dreaming of it since I was a little girl. One day I will got there, too.

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)