Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Confirmation

Although Sunny got sick on Friday night he behaved really well during the confirmation of my nephew and the lunch afterwards. Because his last time in church had been quite challenging since he always wanted to get up and run around and, therefore, was disturbing the service we chose to sit on the balcony of the church this time. I thought it would be a better place because the space is not as open as it is on the ground level next to the altar but rather limited and that this would certainly help him to stay calm and focused. And it really was the best idea ever. For the first 30 minutes he was delighted to have such a good view across the whole church and the trombone orchestra that accompanied the service, being right on the same level with our balcony. After that time he started to get a bit restless so we left the balcony in order to spend some time on the stairs that lead downstairs.

There was another woman with her toddler on the stairs. He had just fallen asleep during the service and I had seen her leave the balcony with the small, sleeping child in her arms just some minutes before. We sat down on the stairs next to her and we started to talk. She told me that her son had just woken up again. He was still a bit sleepy and cranky but otherwise a really cute kid. She told me that he was 18 months old when I asked her about his age. Sunny loved him immediately as he always loves babies and toddlers. He made cute sounds as he saw him, wanted to touch him, brought his face close to her son's face and beamed with happiness. Her son started to stand up on his feet and crawl up the stairs and she told me that he could not walk yet because he has some kind of muscular weakness but that he was working hard to improve his walking skills. She was a very nice lady and started asking Sunny some questions like his name and his age. Because I always feel the need to explain why my son does not answer questions I told her that he does not talk yet and as soon as the words left my mouth I welled up with tears. She looked at me ever so kindly, touched my arm and said "I am sure he will work it out" and I said "I hope so" and the tears started streaming down my face. I was embarrassed to cry in front of a complete stranger and I apologised and then she smiled at me with a gentle smile and said "Don't be sorry! If this isn't the right place for it I don't know where it could be!" and she squeezed my arm again. And then, after watching Sunny for a while, she said "Your son has everything a child needs to have. He is gentle, kind, happy, and he treats other kids so lovingly. He is perfect."

She just knew how to say the right thing at the right time and to give me peace and gratitude for all the things that I love about my son. Her soothing words helped me to calm down and comfort me like a warm blanket around my shoulders. And while my nephew had his official confirmation from church I had my own confirmation of a different kind from this beautiful woman whom I never met before and most likely will never meet again: in the end it will all be okay. I know it is true. And I will never give up hope. 

As the trombone orchestra started to play another song the kids wanted to go back inside and listen to the music. We spent the rest of the service sitting together on the stairs of the balcony next to a church window, our kids happily enjoying time together, playing with each other, loving on each other and looking out of the coloured glass windows, watching the tree outside move gently with the wind.


8 comments:

  1. Oh Joy, you always seem to speak from MY heart! I am so happy that you chose to sit in the blacony and that this woman was sent to comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerri, in retrospect I am happy, too. She was so kind.

      Delete
  2. I admit, I'm not a particularly religious person, but I am a believer in something bigger than us that makes sure that we, when needed, meet the right person at the right time. Another beautiful post, Joy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tatum, it really was such a special encounter and I am glad that we met there.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison, it really was. :-)

      Delete
  4. That is very sweet, it gives me hope for my own struggles with my kids at church. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne, I can always recommend to sit in the balcony if there is one! :-)

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)