Friday, 22 March 2013

Wounding and healing

Wounding and healing are not opposites. They’re part of the same thing.
It is our wounds that enable us to be compassionate with the wounds of others.
It is our limitations that make us kind to the limitations of other people.
It is our loneliness that helps us to find other people or to even know
they’re alone with an illness.
Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D.


I read this quote some days ago and it resonated with me. And while in the first place I do not think of illness when I read it but of special needs I think it matches perfectly nevertheless.  

Very often I still feel wounded and I am still in grief. But at the same time I am healing, each day a bit more. And yes, having a child with special needs makes me see other people with special needs in a new light. It has made me much more empathic. It has boosted my awareness and my compassion. And it was my loneliness in this journey that made me start to blog and I am glad that I found others out there who face the same difficulties and encounter similar situations. I truly hope that we can help each other through this, that we can laugh together and be there for each other when the times are tough.


In additon to this I want to share a beautiful video which made me well up with tears several times. It is about empathy and seeing the world through the eyes of someone else, if only for a moment.



Have a wonderful weekend, my friends! :-)







PS: I will go and visit my family this weekend since my nephew is going to be baptised. I wonder how Sunny will behave in church during the rather long service ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Oh Joy. Remember you are wounded but not broken. Wounds heal and make you stronger. We may always have scar tissue. Those scars are reminders that we are not just moms but warrior moms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so beautiful, thank you for your wonderful comment! You are so right about the scar tissue! xo

      Delete
  2. Sweets. Ditto what Kerri said. Our scars make us even more unique.
    Huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always just thought i had been in denial about the developmental delay, but, now i realize it just took me about three years to come to terms with it and to say, you know what? we are going to make the best of it. most things are going to be more difficult and i'll be a therapy mom and not a soccer mom, but that's ok. we can do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Misty, another wonderfully beautiful comment! Love how you exchange the soccer mom for the therapy mom! A really good way to look at it! Hugs!

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)