Monday, 4 February 2013

Superbowl

I guess this year was the first time that the Superbowl was shown on a "regular" TV station and not on a pay TV station in our country. As I was curious I recorded the show and the recording is now on TV while I am doing other things (like blogging for example ;-) ).

I still try to figure out the rules as they seem to be quite complicated to me as a layperson. I have never really watched a football game before and the commentators on our TV station try their best to explain the rules and the background of the game but I also checked Wikipedia for more information. Wikipedia said that the main goal of football is to gain space.

Watching the game had me thinking that we also try to gain space in our lives, to achieve more, over and over. And we fight for that just as much as the players on the football field fight for the yards that bring them closer to the goal. Sometimes we are reverberated and have to start all over again. And sometimes it is even one step forward, two steps back. But slowly and steadily we fight our way to the end zone of the field and we even manage a touchdown from time to time. This is even more true for our kids who have to fight extra hard for their accomplishments. But they never give up, they tackle their obstacles, they fight their way through the difficulties and do not cease to amaze us with their spirit, perseverance, and determination. And we, their parents, will always be there to tackle the difficulties, to attack problems, to defend them as good as we can and to celebrate their victories together with them. We are a strong team. And we all deserve our own Superbowl trophy for that!

What I really loved about the show elements of the Superbowl was that there was an interpreter for sign language while Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys sang at the beginning of the Superbowl and how the players, these strong, grown men - tall like trees - cried when the national anthem was sung. And how everybody in the stadium cheered during the anthem. That really gave me chills. Here, when the national anthem is sung or played, it is a very serious matter and no one would dare to cheer! ;-) Oh yeah, and the tight pants of the players are not too bad, too! ;-)

Hope you all enjoyed the Superbowl Sunday! And congrats to the Baltimore Ravens!






PS: This is basketball, not football, but check out this cool referee! :-)

 

Edit 05/02/2013: As the topic came up in the comments, I googled for the commercials from the Superbowl and found this link where they are collected.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge watcher of the Super Bowl but I do like the commercials. Did you get to see the commercials? It's a big deal to have an advertisement aired during the game so it's like a competition in itself - who can produce the most memorable or funny or touching commercial that everyone will be talking about after the game? That's my favorite part.

    Also? I totally agree with you - special needs parents do deserve a big ol' trophy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we did not get to see your commercials, unfortunately, as this was one of the main reasons why I even recorded the game. We just had our national, lame and boring ads during the breaks.

      Delete
  2. It's so interesting to read Superbowl perspectives from a first time viewer. The tight pants ... the universal pleasure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I love the tight pants comment. We didn't really get to watch it. If the TV is on, Tucker thinks it's his to command (which is why I try to leave it off as much as I can). I do look forward to having time to Google the commercials, though, as they're usually really good (as they should be, for something like 2.3$million per 30 seconds! Imagine if instead that money went to autism research??).
    I do love watching them though. When I will have time? Considering I am finding time at 2:00 in the morning to finish blog stuff??? Probably not soon...

    XO Joy of my Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not watch TV at all during the daytime. But most of the time Sunny is not interested in the TV anyway. Oh yeah, good idea to google the ads! I will do that, too!

      And now GO TO BED and get some much needed rest, sister!! xoxo Good night!!

      Delete
  4. UGH here I am again. Too late. Need sleep. Just checking to see if I missed commenting on a post because I am crazy these days!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did not miss anything as I was too busy posting, too! xo Thanks for checking!

      Delete
  5. I cry when I hear the national anthem too. Just one of the many things that bring me to tears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a crier, too, as you already know! So good to see you are back! I have to catch up on all my favourite blogs, too! xo

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)