Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Something new to worry about

The last few days have scared the sh** out of me.

On Sunday Sunny had a hemiparesis on the right side of his body. He could not lift his arm anymore, he could not grasp anything with his hand, he could neither stand on his right foot nor walk. And I am not sure about that but I believe he also could not swallow properly. We called the emergency doctor and were rushed to the hospital with an ambulance.

They made a CT scan on Sunday but his brain luckily did not show any signs of a stroke or a bleeding or anything similar to that. Yesterday they ran an EEG which was also NAD. The next thing they will do is an MRI but it is not until tomorrow that it can be done because it is fully booked. So they discharged us yesterday because there was no need to stay at the hospital and the venous access needs to be renewed for the MRI tomorrow anyway.

I am so anxious because the cause has not been found yet. It scares me to death that it might occur again and we do not know why or what can be done against it. Of course I am glad that it obviously wasn't a stroke (which is what I thought of immediately when I noticed his limp arm) and that his brain seems to be fine but it is disquieting not to know why it happened.

I have a lot of things to do and arrange today: unpack, wash, organise things and pack stuff again. For the future I have to get organised at home much better, this is for sure. Since we had to rush to the hospital so quickly I just had about 5 minutes to pack a bag for Sunny and me and since I was so scared I was like a headless chicken, running around and tossing random stuff into our bag. My husband brought us some more stuff when he came to the hospital but my laundry is such a chaos that he had a hard time finding what I told him to bring. I really need to get this done properly in the future so that he will find the stuff I need him to bring. Apart from that I will prepare a check list and put it on our bulletin board in the kitchen in order to have it on hand when I need it. I already have such a list but it is on my computer and there was no time to print it out on Sunday. We are frequent guests to the hospital and I just have to face the reality that hospital stays will happen again and again and I have to prepare myself better for that. This kind of chaos is something that cannot go on like it does.

So, this was my short update. I guess I will not be able to post for the rest of the week as we will have to stay at the hospital until Friday at least.


7 comments:

  1. Poor Sunny and poor parents. What a worry. I totally understand, that at least if it had been a stroke you would have an answer. I hope the MRI provides comfort and not more worry. I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Joy how scary :( I've been thinking about you all week. Any new news? I hope that the MRI tells you what was wrong and that it's completely fixable and not something new to worry about. Tears over Sunday and the utter shock and fright you and Sunny and your husband must have been feeling.
    I hope everything is okay...
    Huge hugs and thoughts and prayers of everything turning out good for you and your sweet boy!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Joy, I would have been really scared too. I hope there are no more incidents like that and that you and Sunny can enjoy a little bit more peace over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, waiting eagerly for updates on Sunny. I hope he's okay!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your wonderful comments and encouraging words! They mean a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy, I am so sorry to hear this news. I am hoping that things have settled down some now and you have some answers. I look forward to hearing an update.

    Oh, and I remember the days when we were frequent hospital visitors. I ended up keeping a partially packed bag for Lily and myself in my closet. Then I just needed to add toiletries and we could quickly be off. A printed off checklist is a great idea. Those frantic moments when you're trying to get out the door and worried sick about your child don't lend themselves to thinking logically about what to pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lana,
      Thank you for your heartfelt comment. I actually already posted an update. You can read it here: http://icansaymama.blogspot.de/2013/03/just-short-update.html
      The idea of a partially packed bag is quite good, thank you for that tip!

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)