Tuesday, 29 January 2013

What if my son gets lost?

Last year I had a near-heart attack moment when Sunny seemed to have gotten lost. We were at some kind of zoo, it was lunchtime and we were looking for a place to sit down and have lunch. While my husband stood in line to get us something to eat I left Sunny on our bench for only one second because I had to get up and throw something in the bin. As I turned around he was gone. My eyes scanned the whole place and the playground. I could not see him anywhere. I started to panic because there was a road nearby. I ran around, calling his name over and over, each time a little bit lounder, searching for him. Nowhere. My heart raced in my chest, my thought wreaked havoc in my brain. My husband got aware what was going on and started to look around, too. And suddenly we saw him, sitting quietly on another bench next to the line my husband had been standing in. The relief I felt when I saw him sitting there peacefully is beyond words.

But I also became aware that he did not respond to his name although he knows who he is. And he did not come to me when I called out for him. This made me worry. What if he ever really got lost? He cannot even tell anyone his name or where he lives. And if anyone found him maybe they would not even realise that he is nonverbal in the beginning. Maybe they would think he is just a shy or stubborn child and leave him all to himself. I cannot even tell you how horrifying these thoughts alone are for me.

So I began to search online for rescue wrist bracelets and I finally found some that I purchased. I will still sure as hell watch out for him to never get lost when we are on an outing. But you never know and it might still happen. And so I feel (really just a tiny bit) better.

I bought two different types: a simple one and one which is water-protected inside and can contain a lot of information. You can also write medical stuff in there, too. And the good thing is that the simple one cannot be opened with one hand so the kids should not be able to open it.


If you do not have something like this yet you might want to consider buying one, too.


8 comments:

  1. Joy. I feel you HUGE with this post. After a similar scare to the one you had with Sunny, I started putting a piece of masking tape on Tucker's shirt every time we go to a crowded thing like this. I write "My name is Tucker. I cannot tell you who I am but if you are reading this, my Mommy is freaking out right now and you should call XXX-921-XXXX (cell phone number). She will be forever grateful.

    We also registered with the local fire departments...but oh my god.

    I think about this and I cry. Because, like Sunny, Tucker would NEVER answer if we called him and he would NEVER tell somebody his name. Breaks my heart. Maybe I will look into these bracelets.

    Argh. Sad, now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww honey, I am sorry I made you sad!
      I love what you put on the masking tape on Tucker's shirt! <3
      Sometimes it is hard, isn't it? :-/

      Delete
  2. good post. great idea to share. had our first "missing" episode last summer in a children's clothing store. patty had never wandered and it took only a split second as i turned to pick up a shirt and she was halfway across the store from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes you just turn around ever so shortly and they are gone. Have to watch out for Sunny as good as I can.

      Delete
  3. awesome resource - thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to look into these. Our four year old was recently diagnosed with SPD. Amongst other things, he has issues with auditory filtering (he shows many signs of being both hyper- and hypo-sensitive). We live on nearly two acres of land in the country and allow our boys to play outside supervised from inside. So many times we call out to see where they are, and do not get a response. We know our four year old can hear us and he knows his name, but he will not answer. It is scary, very scary. He bolts off in stores too. When we go to parks, I dress the boys in bright, matching shirts so I can spot them easier, but I would feel better if they had those bracelets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey,
      The matching shirts are a good idea! However, I must say that I really feel better now that we have the bracelets. I hope we will never need them but, if we do, that the people who find him get the idea and actually look at it.

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)