Tuesday, 15 January 2013

The wave of influenza

I learned on the news that there is a really bad wave of influenza going on in the United States, especially in the New York area, and that a lot of children already died :-( This is so tragic and I think about these kids very often.

Sunny is very prone to infections. His immune system is quite weak and he is ill very often, especially during the wintertime. Therefore, we have him vaccinated against the flu every year as the flu might be too much for his tiny body and his weak immune system to handle. I know that the pros and cons of vaccinations are an issue that is hotly debated by parents. Some parents I am in contact with think that an influenza vaccination is exaggerated but as these news occured to me I was so glad that we do it every year. Yes, it might be exaggerated for other children but for Sunny it is just the right choice. We have to keep as many infections as possible away from him, especially those that can be really bad. And this is what the real flu can be to children like him.

I do hope and pray that none of you are affected by the flu. Stay healthy and well!

Edit: I just noticed that Ellen Seidman is blogging about it, too!


4 comments:

  1. So scary. I usually get Tucker vaccinated against the flu, too, but didn't this year. When I had his doctor's appointment to do so, he was sick and I didn't want to do it then. Then, the holidays happened and I sort of forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, I'm calling his doctor today! And I hope Sunny stays well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and the same goes for you with Tucker! Is the area where you live also affected by this wave of influenza?

      Delete
  2. so scary, isn't it? my eldest daughter is very prone to getting pnemonia and whenever she gets sick, it always ends up being worse than a "regular child's" getting sick.... you know? Mostly because she has seizures whenever she gets even a small fever. I think I'll be getting her the flu vaccine too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is really scary. And it is similar here with regard to being worse compared to other kids. When Sunny is really ill he often stops eating and drinking completely and so we often end up in hospital because he is dehydrated.

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)