Thursday, 31 January 2013

IEP: this might help you

I keep reading about IEPs on every special needs blog. I always wonder what the process of an IEP really involves as we do not have such an official process here. Of course, goals and objectives are also agreed upon for each child individually, but it is only the school teachers and the parents that set the goals. And most of the time the teachers come to visit us at home for this meeting, so the atmosphere is very laid back. As our insurance system is totally different here, things like coverage of therapies is not discussed during such a meeting as it is the paediatrician who discusses and decides about necessary therapies together with the parents. There are no other parties involved in all of this and I am glad about that. Because these are the people who know my son best. And they know - together with me and my husband - what is best for him.

Anyway, the preparation of those IEP meetings and the meetings themselves do not sound like much fun at all but rather exhausting. This is why I want to share a link with you that I found just recently. It involves IEP goals and objectives and I thought it might be helpful for some of you. I think that the IEP season is right around the corner (are IEPs always done at a certain time?), so maybe you are glad for a little help.


4 comments:

  1. IEP's are a pain in the @ss, but can be helpful if you really push what you want. The problem in the US is a lack of funding, really, so not every child gets all of the services he needs. With that said, I've been very lucky with Tucker so far and have had a wonderful process. We did have his teachers come to the house for an initial evaluation, which was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing that link Joy! those definitely sound similar to the goals/objectives i see on patty's iep. for this non-teacher mom, those things just sound like a complicated mess. i think there is much too much emphasis on souding smart in the iep when the emphasis should be on teaching the child a specific thing.

    the single biggest problem i have encountered with special education is the attitude that special education is a class in and of itself. when really special education is a support or service that coincides with regular education. next year, i want to stress how important it is to include patty in the regular education classroom, just as the NT kids are included. she may not have the correct answer, but she deserves the opportunity to try just like the other kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad we do not have to do IEPs over here. It sounds like a totally complex and overwhelming process. All of us have so much on our plates already... I wonder what exactly it is all about?

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)