Monday, 3 December 2012

My home away from home

Sunny and I were away for the weekend. We went to visit my parents and my sister with her family.

We had such a wonderful, relaxing time there. I wish I could see my family more often. But as everyone is always busy we only manage to meet every 2-3 months. This is why I enjoy it even more when we visit them. We had some good quality time together, went for a long walk in the snow, had a beautiful dinner together, and just enjoyed each other's company.


Moreover, every time I visit my parents I try to meet as many of my old friends as possible. This time was no exception and I luckily met two of my best friends that I know since I started school. We laughed a lot, cried a little, had good conversations, and indulged in good food and sparkling wine. I really enjoyed their company. There is so much peace and comfort in hanging out with people that know you since you were all teeny tiny and I am glad that for all of these years we stayed in touch and kept our friendships going. Good friends mean a lot to me. They know my life story and are forever intertwined with it. We have so many memories to share and always good laughs when we talk about the past.

I am always astonished at how my home town's face has changed over the years since I moved away. I explore the city every time I am there, checking out what is different since my last visit and, on the other hand, being comforted that I still recognise this town as my home town, where I grew up and where I know every street and every corner. Where good and valuable memories are connected with places and houses and public buildings, with shops and fountains and streets. I am still deeply in love with my home town.

"Home is where the heart is" they say. I know that a part of my heart will always be there, right in the middle of my home town. It will always be my home away from home.



4 comments:

  1. Awww...glad you got to spend some time with family and friends. I'll get to go to my hometown in just a few weeks, and I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always wonderful to return home, isn't it? :-)

      Delete
    2. oh snow! we are having another round of unseasonably warm weather. weather.com says it is 73 degrees outside. does not feel like Christmas is right around the corner!

      Delete
    3. It snowed again today so we cannot complain. But I bet it will all be gone until Christmas! ;-)

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)