Saturday, 22 December 2012

Beautiful encounter

It is still early in the morning. I realise that I forgot a few small things when I went grocery shopping yesterday. So I decide to head to town directly after breakfast, alone, before the parking lots are crowded and the town is full of people, all being unrelaxed and bustling around.

I park the car a bit outside the town centre and decide to walk. The rain has stopped. The air is cool, but not cold. It feels good to move.

A few people are already on the streets, too. As I walk down the road and approach a roundabout, I look to my left and see a man crossing the street, walking in my direction. He sees me and looks me in the eyes, then flashes me a huge smile. He waves enthusiastically at me. I wave back. I wonder if we know each other but after a short moment of digging around in my brain for his face I realise that I have never seen him before. Our paths cross and we meet. I notice that he has an intellectual disability. For a brief second I wonder why he is so happy to see me, if he knows that we are on the same team, that I have a special needs child. I wonder if his fine antennas sense it. He beams at me, reaches in his pocket and gives me a piece of candy. Then he hugs me tightly and although he is a stranger it does not feel awkward at all, just a bit surprising. We commence our walk together and he opens his shopping bag and proudly shows me the content. It is full of DVDs. I ask him "Wow, what do you have in there?" and he answers "Movies!" and seems so proud. I say "That's great!". We cross the road together, right next to each other, as if we belong together. He looks content and happy. On the other side of the road I have to turn left, he has to turn right. We both say goodbye and then we both part ways, each of us walking the roads of our own lives again.

But for a short moment in time our paths crossed and we walked a bit of the way together and that hearty encounter leaves me doing my shopping and driving home to my beloved Sunny with a warm feeling in my stomach and a smile on my lips.

This was my Christmas moment 2012!














☆*……….*….*……..* ☆*…
….*..*☆…..*…☆…*…☆.*..*.… 

Whoever you are, wherever you are: Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!


17 comments:

  1. LOVE this post. made me smile on the outside and inside. and ps - that picture is so cute. i might need to replicate those little people on my own fingers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alicia! And please feel free to replicate them as often as you wish! They are here to spread joy! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love this post, too! What a great encounter to brighten your holiday spirits :) And I really adore the happy finger people. So adorable. Merry Christmas to you and your family. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and enjoy some time off with Sunny!
    Love,
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kristi,
      Thanks for your wishes! I hope you will have a beautiful Christmas, too! Fingers crossed for a good trip there, lots of fun on the real Ninee for Tucker and only the best! Take care!
      Lots of Love,
      Joy xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Joy! Enjoy your parent's visit! Sounds perfect!
      Much love,
      Kristi

      Delete
  3. That is so lovely! I really enjoy those moments when I unexpectedly connect with a stranger, and it does seem like there are fine "antennaes" at work sometimes....Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like such moments, too! The always make my day! Happy Holidays to you, too!! :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow. What an awesome moment to remember.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed, Kerri! Merry Christmas to you, too, Kerri! We've had the most wonderful Holy Night so far!

      Delete
  5. How beautiful to be able to have that moment and really enjoy it and truly know how special it was xx merry christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Chistmas and a shout-out to Australia! :-) I love how the internet makes it possible to connect in a way I never thought possible!

      Delete
  6. This was a huge tug on my heart. Made me cry and smile and feel all kinds of warm fuzzies! I just love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and wonderful words and your comment! It really was a special experience indeed!

      Delete
  7. LOVE this. Especially, "I wonder... if he knows that we are on the same team." Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that just lit up my day. Beautiful post. Glad I stumbled onto your blog. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Now I will go and check out your blog. So glad that you commented!

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)