Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Why me? - Well, why not?

I know that some/many/a lot of parents ask themselves questions like "Why me? My life would be perfect if only my child were "normal". Why did this happen to me?"

I never had these thoughts and sometimes I wonder why.

Maybe it is because my outlook on life is mainly optimistic. Maybe because I try not to be consumed with negative thoughts because, in my opinion, they do not bring me forward. They do not help me in any way. Why should I even think the "why me?"-question? There is no point in thinking about that. I want to grow as I travel down this road and "why me?" only keeps me from traveling or slows me down.

Apart from that, when I hear someone pose this question, I think to myself "well, why not me? What makes me stand out of other people? Why should it happen to anyone else and NOT me? Am I special in any way? I am a person like anyone else is." Life is not always fair and bad things happen to good people. So, why should it not be me? These questions do not lead me anywhere.

I prefer to think positive. To be happy about how far we have come. To notice progress, even the tiniest, acknowledge and appreciate it. To marvel at Sunny's beautiful face, his silky hair, his milky skin, his laughter and kind personality. I prefer to think about how lucky I am to be his mama. I prefer to love my life the way it is. I prefer to enjoy a glass that is half full.



17 comments:

  1. you're very lucky to have such a positive outlook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess I am, really. But to some extent I think it is also how you WANT to look at it. It might be hard to find good things about a thing that is not so good, but very often, these good things are there, too. If you think about it and try to find them, you will. That is my opinion.

      Delete
  2. Love this. On my right as I sit here I have a little whiteboard with sticky notes stuck to it. The only thing written in marker is "celery root juice" (never researched that) and "Why not?" I had it as a placeholder for a post title but I never used it. But it also symbolizes asking myself "Why not?" anytime I want to complain about, "Why me?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kenya, thank you so much for your comment! I love that you share my point of view!

      Delete
  3. Very truthful post! I completely agree. Sometimes, I feel like I am the only optimist around!

    TALU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment! Yes, sometimes it is hard to find other optimists! I love that you are one, too!

      Delete
  4. I agree, but I also have an answer to that question. Whatever "unfair" experiences we go through prepare us to help someone in the future. The trials in life strenghten us and teach us things we wouldn't understand on such a deep level otherwise. That knowledge and understanding puts us in a unique position to help others who might be going through a similar challenge. (TALU)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! This is really insightful, I love these thoughts!

      Delete
  5. I think Sunny will benefit greatly from your positive attitude. You sound like a kick butt and take no prisoners Mom who won't let his challenges hold him back ... or anyone else's view of his challenges. I have seen it over and over again with both physical and mental/emotional issues. It's the ones with parents who don't coddle and hold on TOO tight but that let their child be/do their own personal best and tackle new things that manage to flourish. It will also help Sunny not to grow up thinking "why me?" but to live his life like everyone else, doing the best he can. [#TALU]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much for your wonderful commment! You really hit the nail on the head! And yes, I am trying to do my very best to be the kick butt mum for Sunny!
      I just jumped over to your blog and boy does all of that stuff look yummy!! Will have to check it out more thoroughly!

      Delete
  6. Lovely post and a wonderful way to look at Motherhood. I personally think Perfect is over-rated.
    Love Noodles
    (TALU)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right on the perfection thing! Thanks for taking the time to comment! I will hop over and visit your blog immediately!

      Delete
  7. Wow. Beautiful. Your attitude is inspiring, and your little sweetheart is lucky that he ended up with you. Happy TALU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Debbie and Stephanie! And yes, Stephanie, I am really glad that Sunny picked us as his parents! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)